- adjectivequickly aroused to anger-
a hotheaded commander• Similar to: ↑ill-natured
* * *adjbad-tempered, impatient, irritable, hot-tempered, quick-tempered, fiery, irascible, choleric, crusty, touchyCOLLOQ. ratty, testy, grouchy≠ calm, patient, placid
* * *[adjective]quick-tempered, hot-tempered, impatient, irascible, ratty (Brit. & N.Z. informal), testy
* * *▶ adjective IRRITABLE, irascible, hot-tempered, quick-tempered, snappish, fiery, touchy, volatile; cross, crabby, crotchety, cantankerous, grumpy, ill-tempered, bad-tempered, testy, tetchy, prickly, choleric; informal snappy, chippy, grouchy, cranky, on a short fuse; Brit. informal narky, ratty, eggy, like a bear with a sore head; N. Amer. informal soreheaded.placid.
* * *\\ˈ ̷ ̷| ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷\ adjective: having a quick temper
* * */shawrt"tem"peuhrd/, adj.having a quick, hasty temper; irascible.[1885-90]Syn. irritable, testy, choleric, waspish.
* * *short-temˈpered adjectiveEasily moved to anger, quick-tempered• • •Main Entry: ↑short
* * *someone who is short-tempered becomes angry very easilyThesaurus: words used to describe someone who is easily annoyed or difficult to pleasesynonym
* * *ˌshort-ˈtempered ; adjective
Being tired makes me very short-tempered.Main entry: ↑short temperderived
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
short-tempered — adj tending to become angry very quickly →↑bad tempered ▪ She gets short tempered when she s tired. >short temper n … Dictionary of contemporary English
short-tempered — short tem|pered [ ,ʃɔrt tempərd ] adjective someone who is short tempered becomes angry very easily: a short tempered businessman … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
short-tempered — [shôrt′tem΄pərd] adj. having a tendency to lose one s temper; easily or quickly angered … English World dictionary
short-tempered — index fractious, hot blooded, petulant Burton s Legal Thesaurus. William C. Burton. 2006 … Law dictionary
short-tempered — ► ADJECTIVE ▪ having a tendency to lose one s temper quickly … English terms dictionary
short-tempered — adjective don t get short tempered with me, pal! Syn: irritable, irascible, hot tempered, quick tempered, snappish, fiery, touchy, volatile; cross, crabby, crotchety, cantankerous, grumpy, ill tempered, bad tempered, testy, tetchy, prickly … Thesaurus of popular words
short-tempered — adjective Of or pertaining to a person who is easily angered, who is known to frequently lose his or her temper. She is so short tempered that people avoid her company. Syn: hotheaded, quick tempered Ant: cool, cool headed … Wiktionary
short-tempered — ADJ GRADED Someone who is short tempered gets angry very quickly. I m a bit short tempered sometimes … English dictionary
short-tempered — adjective 1 easily becoming angry or impatient: Roger s back pain is making him pretty short tempered these days. 2 angry and impatient: a short tempered reply … Longman dictionary of contemporary English
short-tempered — UK [ˌʃɔː(r)t ˈtempə(r)d] / US [ˌʃɔrt ˈtempərd] adjective someone who is short tempered becomes angry very easily … English dictionary